Student Financial Aid

2015-2016 Financial Aid Award Guide

Special Enrollment Options

One-Semester Attendance

We must reevaluate your eligibility for aid if you will attend UM for only one semester of an academic year due to graduation, deferral of enrollment, co-op employment, or other reasons. Please notify us as soon as possible so we can promptly notify you of any adjustments.

Co-op Employment

To receive any financial aid during a co-op semester, you must also enroll for at least 6 credits of actual classes. Co-op credits do not count toward required enrollment for financial aid purposes. If you would like to enroll at another institution during the co-op semester, please read the next section.

Permission to Enroll at Another Institution

It may be possible to take courses at another institution and receive aid for those courses from UM. To qualify, your combined enrollment must equal at least 6 credits or 24 graduate units and your academic advisor must approve your request to take courses at the other institution.

To apply, ask your academic advisor to complete a Permission to Enroll Form, and submit a copy to OSFA with a Permission to Enroll Financial Aid Authorization form. If your request is approved, we will disburse your aid to you and you will be responsible for paying the tuition to the other school by their due date. For additional information, check our web site.

Study Abroad

You may apply your standard financial aid awards toward approved study abroad programs. However, additional grant or scholarship funds are not available from the OSFA. To apply, submit the following forms to the OSFA Study Abroad Coordinator:

  • A completed Permission to Study Abroad Form from your academic advisor
  • A certified Study Abroad Financial Aid Worksheet from the Study Abroad Office

For more information on financing study abroad programs, please contact the Study Abroad Office at 301-314-8285 or refer to the Study Abroad section of our website for additional information.

Summer School

Summer financial aid is very limited. Only students who will have remaining eligibility from the prior or upcoming academic year may be eligible to receive summer aid. Students must register for the summer term to be considered for summer financial aid. For more information, please visit the Summer 2015 Financial Aid Information page.

If you have questions regarding summer financial aid, please contact our office at 301-314-9000, option 1 or email