2016-2017 FWS Fall/Spring Work Period is August 21, 2016 – May 27, 2017
2017 FWS Summer Work Period is May 28, 2017 - August 19, 2017
General Overview of the FWS Hiring Process
Below are the standard hiring practices you should follow. By following these steps, you will optimize on your ability and performance as a FWS Employer.
- Know the FWS program.
It is important that you are aware of the FWS policies and procedures in order to successfully administer the FWS program within your office. Employers are valued if they are able to abide by the FWS guidelines. For more information about the FWS program, review the FWS Employer Handbook to the right.
- Know your office.
Survey your department to assess the various needs and areas where a student can assist. Determine the number of students you may want to hire.
- Review your FWS Allocation/Funding Notification Form.
You are approved for participation through the FWS Allocation/Funding Notification form. All approved FWS Employers are mailed an FWS Allocation/Funding Notification with your funding allotment and FRS account number.
- Complete and submit a Job listing form.
Go to the Post/Modify Job Listing section to the left and complete a job listing for each position you would like posted on the FWS website.
- Review students for the position.
As students contact you about the position, respond and request documentation for review in a timely manner. It is encouraged that you respond to the student within 3-5 days of receiving notification that he/she is interested in the position.
- Verify that each student is a FWS participant by requesting the Financial Aid Award Page, which indicates the FWS award and amount
- Request that each applicant provide you with a cover letter and/or resume so that he/she can begin building a career portfolio if he/she has not already
- Interview students who are qualified for the position.
Get to know the student to see if he/she is a good fit for the position and your office. Please reference the Employer Interview Tips section to the left for more information on the interview process.
- Prepare a set of interview questions
- Be open and flexible to offering phone interviews
- Make a Selection.
Contact the students to let them know of their application status
- Inform both the students who are offered and declined the job.
- Deactivate the job listing that is filled.
Keeping the Job Listing webpage current is crucial for students searching for a job and to successfully participate in the program. For instructions, please see the Post/Modify Job Listing section to the left.
- Create a personnel file and set up payroll.
Have the student provide the forms necessary to maintain the FWS student personnel file and to set up a work appointment in the University Payroll System.
- For a complete Students Personnel file you will need:
- Copy of Financial Aid Award page
- FWS Work Authorization form
- Class Schedule
- Work Schedule
- Cover Letter/Resume/Job Application
- For Payroll documentation, review the “Pay FWS Students’ section to the left.
- Submit the completed FWS Work Authorization form to the FWS Office.
- Must be submitted before the student begins employment
- Keep a copy on file in your office